Smashed Fried Okra
- 1 pound fresh okra
- 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil
1. Use a meat mallet to smash okra, starting at tip of pod and working toward stem end. Place buttermilk in a shallow dish, and place cornmeal in another shallow dish.
2. Stir desired amount of salt and pepper into buttermilk and cornmeal. Dip okra in buttermilk; dredge in cornmeal, shaking off excess.
3. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a large Dutch oven; heat to 350°. Fry okra, in batches, 2 to 3 minutes or until brown and crisp, turning once.
4. Remove okra, using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Add salt and pepper to taste; serve.
Thai Mango Sauce
- 2 ripe mangoes
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce or 1 tbsp. soy sauce plus a pinch salt if vegetarian/vegan (to taste)
- 1/4 cup good-quality (thick) coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. Thai
sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
1. Scoop out the mango fruit and place in a food processor, blender or large chopper.
2. Add all other ingredients but avoid over-processing, or it could be too runny. If you prefer chunks of mango in your sauce, pulse to create the sauce until you're satisfied with the consistency.
3. Do a taste-test. Depending on the ripeness and sweetness of your mango, you may have to add a little more sugar. Add more fish sauce for more flavor, or more chili for more spice.
4. Use as a marinade or sauce for chicken, pork, fish or seafood. You can also serve as a dip for nearly any finger food.
Quick Caesar Salad
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 cups Caesar or garlic-flavored croutons
- 2 bunches romaine, torn into bite-size pieces (20 cups)
- 1 cup Caesar dressing
1. In a small bowl, whisk the ingredients (except the croutons and eggs).
2. Place romaine in a large bowl.
3. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
4. Serve with salad croutons, sliced eggs and additional cheese if desired.
Beef Lok Lak
Ingredients (1 person)
For the pepper sauce:
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed back pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/4 of a lime
For the meal:
- A few lettuce leaves
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/3 tsp chili sauce
- 1 tsp oil + extra for cooking
- 1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150g chicken breast or beef - sliced, or whole shrimps
- 1/2 tsp sugar
1. Mix sugar, salt, pepper, oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce and garlic in a mixing bowl, add meat and coat thoroughly. Marinate 30 to 60 minutes.
2. Mix salt, sugar, pepper and garlic in small bowls (pepper sauce for each person).
3. Add oil to a wok, sauté onions until brown and add chicken, stir fry about minutes, until done.
4. Mix in chili sauce as desired. Prepare serving plates with rice and a bed of lettuce. Just before serving, squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime into the pepper sauce and stir lightly.
5. Serve meat or shrimps over lettuce with pepper sauce on side